All in one day, your Jenn Air refrigerator light goes from the expected beaming light of its previous self to emits a muted orange hue – that’s when you know it’s time for a new bulb! You can replace the old bulb yourself with ease if you use these steps and get the replacement in order.
Know if I have a Jenn Air refrigerator
The light in your Jenn Air refrigerator may be burnt out. Replacing the light bulb is an easy and inexpensive way to save energy and keep your appliance running smoothly. Follow these steps to test if you need to replace your light bulb:
1. Open the refrigerator door and press it all the way closed. If you see the light turn off when the refrigerator is closed, then you likely have a burnt-out light bulb and need to replace it. If you don’t see the light turn off, then your bulb is probably working fine and you don’t need to replace it just yet.
2. Look for a compatible replacement light bulb at your local home improvement store or online retailer. Some models of Jenn Air refrigerators use standard E12 or E13 bulbs, while others require a slightly different size bulb (usually a GU11). Make sure to get the correct type of bulb before leaving the store.
3. Close the door of the refrigerator and turn on the power. If all goes according to plan, your new light bulb should now work properly! If not, continue with Step 4 below.
Replace the light bulb
If your Jenn Air refrigerator light is not working, there are likely two possibilities: the bulb or the power supply. The bulb can be replaced with an identical or compatible bulb, while the power supply may require a replacement part or a whole new refrigerator.
To replace the light bulb in a Jenn Air refrigerator, follow these steps:
1. Open the refrigerator door. If the cover is attached to the refrigerator with hinges, set it aside. If it’s bolted to the (usually) bottom of the frig, remove the bolts and lift off the cover.
2. Look inside for a light socket and accompanying wiring assembly. The socket might be concealed by a molded plastic cover on one or both sides of the fridge. If so, gently remove the cover(es). There might also be screws holding down an inner wire shroud (covering either end of the light cord), which you should also remove before continuing.
3. Remove the old light bulb by unscrewing it from its socket(s) and pulling it out straight (or if it has some type of base that needs to be pulled off first, do that first). It may
Isolate the cool air
Refrigerator lights are known to flicker when the fridge is not in a constant state of cooling. The flickering may be eliminated by isolating the cool air source from other areas of the refrigerator. Open the door as wide as possible to allow more cold air inside and close any vents near or on the refrigerator that might be sucking in heat from the fans or other parts of the machine.
Some refrigerators use a mercury vapor light, which needs to be replaced every 9-12 months and flickers if it is not replaced on time. Check with your Jenn Air dealer for replacement information.
Clean the coils
If your Jenn Air refrigerator has a light bulb that is no longer providing light, you can replace it with a new bulb without having to remove the entire unit. Additionally, if your coils need cleaning, you can do so without taking apart the unit. Here are instructions for both of these procedures:
Instructions for Replacing a Light Bulb in a Jenn Air Refrigerator:
1. Open the refrigerator door as wide as possible.
2. Locate the lightbulb and remove it from the housing with a Phillips head screwdriver. Make sure to grip the edges of the housing so you don’t scratch it.
3. Loosen the screws that hold in the new bulb. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove them and replace them with the new bulbs. Be sure to tighten them back up using the correct screws.
4. Reinstall the housing by reversing these steps, making sure to line up the notches on the housing with those on the refrigerator door before tightening down all screws.